Bisi bele bath huli anna is one of the traditional cuisine of Karnataka. In kannada bisi menas hot ,bele means daal, huli means tamarind, anna means rice. Bisi bele bath is a mix of rice ,daal and spices .
In traditional bisi bele bath shallots are not used. Today i have added few shallots. Bisi bele bath is very easy to make and there is no need of side dish. Bisi bele bath is one of the popular lunch box rice.We can have this with appalam. Let us see how to make this spicy dish.
Preparation time approx 30 minutes.
- 3/4 cup raw rice.
- 1/4 heaped cup of tuar daal.( If you like you can add little more also.)
- One lemon size tamarind soak in water and take the juice.
- 3 tbsp Bisibelebath powder. ( i have posted the recipe separately in my blog)(adjust the spice leverl according to your taste.)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil. ( you can use ghee alone also)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 medium size potato.
- 12 shallots
- 1/4 cup peas. ( i used frozen peas)
- 1 small size capsicum
- 1/4 cup carrots ( cut in to small pieces).
- 1 tomato
- few curry leaves.
- few coriander leaves to garnish.( we can garnish with boondi also).
Cut the carrots and potato and tomato in to small pieces. Squeeze the tamarind juice and keep aside.
Soak rice and daal for at least 15 minutes.
Add 3 1/2 cup of water to rice and daal and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistle. (My daal will take time to cook. If your daal is good no need to soak.) Keep aside.
In a kadai add oil add curry leaves and shallots. Fry till it turn coclour. Then add potato, carrot, peas, tomatoes and capsicum. Fry for few seconds and add 1 cup of water. Add turmeric powder and salt. Let the vegetable cook. Now add the tamrind juice. Let it boil. Add asafoetida and bisibele bath powder. Add 1 cup of water and let it boil. Keep the gas on medium fire.
Mash the rice and daal little and add to the vegetable mix. Mix very well. If the mixture is very thick add little more water and cook . Add ghee now and mix. Garnish with coriander leaves.
when the bisibebath became cool it will absorb all water and it will be little thick. If you are making for lunch box make little more watery condistency.