Kadappa is a very popular dish from the place called Kumbakonam in Tamilnadu. I have tasted this kadappa in many resturants. I got this authentic recipe from my friend who is staying in Kumbakonam.I tried this recipe many times at home. It goes well with Idly, Dosa, Aappm, Idiyappam even with poori it tastes good. Let us see how to make this simple recipe.
Preparation time approx . 20 to 25 minutes.
- 1/2 cup cooked yellow moong daal.
- 2 potatoes boiled and mashed .
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut.
- 2tbsp roasted gram ( pottukadalai)
- 6 green chillies. ( adjust according to your taste)
- 2 big pod of chopped garlic.
- 1 tsp saunf ( fennel seeds)
- 1 tsp khus khus. ( i have not used. It is banned here in gulf. )
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves.
- 1 inch cinnamon stick.
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf. 1 tbsp cooking oil.
- few curry leaves.
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Cook the potatoes mash it keep aside.
cook the moong daal keep aside.
Ingredients for grinding.
Grind all the ingredients mentioned above under grinding with water. Make a paste and keep this.
In a pan add oil and heat. Add cinnomon, clove and bay leaf. Fry for few seconds.Then add curry leaves and chopped onions. Fry till onions turns colour.
Add mashed potatoes and well cooked yellow moong daal. Mix well and mash it. In slow flame cook this for 1 minute. Add tuermeric powder and salt . Mix well
Now add the ground masala and mix well. Cook this under slow flame for 1 minute. Keep on stirring. The raw smell of the masala should go.
Add enough water .
cook on medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes .
Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding water.
Add coriander leaves and switch off the stove.