Kadambam menas mix. Kadamba sadam (rice) is a mix of vegetables, rice and daal. My grand mother used to make this one pot dish . We need not make any side dish for this spicy rice. Today i have added 2 extra ingredients after seeing a you tube video. Ajwain and dried turkey berry. These two items are purely optional. My kadamba rice was spicy and yummy. We need variety of vegetables to make this rice. We can use any country vegetables to make this rice. Let us see how to make this rice.
Preparation time approx 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3/4 cup sona masoori rice or raw rice.
- 1/4 cup of moong daal or thuar daal. ( today i used moong daal).
- 1/2 cup white pumpkin pieces.
- 1/2 raw banana peeled and cut in to pieces
- 15 cluster beans. Cut in to long pieces.
- 10 french beans. Cut in to long beans.
- 15 Broad beans . Cut it in long pieces.
- 1 small piece sweet potato.
- 4 to 5 arbi or colocasia roots. cooked and peeled .
- 3 small brinjal. cut in to pieces.
- 2 tbsp ground nuts soaked over night
- 2 tbsp black channa soaked over night.
- 1 tbsp black eyed beans soak over night.
- 1/4 cup fresh lima beans or dried one ( if it is dried soak over night).
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut gratings.
- a lemonn size tamarind soaked in water and take juice.
- 3 tbsp thil oil
- 1 tsp mustad seeds.
- few curry leaves.
- 1 tbsp thil oil.
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds.
- 1 tbsp channa daal
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida.
- 12 red chillies.
- 1/2 tsp ajwain seeds or carm seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp pepper seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- few curry leaves.
Soak tamarind in water and take juice and keep aside.
Cook colacasia and keep aside.
Cook soaked items and keep aside.
Dry fry coconut gratings till it becomes brown and keep aside.
Cut the vegetables and keep aside.
In a pan heat thil oil. ( try to use this oil for better taste. If you do not have this oil use any oil of your choice.).
Add channa daal fry till it turns brown. Take out and keep aside. Now fry coriander seeds and red chillies. Fry for few seconds. Now add methis seeds and curry leaves. Fry till the methi seeds changes its colour. Take out. Let it become cool. Powder this and keep aside.
Dry fry pepper corns and ajwain till it roast nicely . When it is cool powder.
How to proceed…..
Wash and clean rice and daal together. Add 3 cups of water and pressure cook and keep aside..
In the mean time in a deep pan add 1 cup of water add white pumpkin, raw banana, french beans, cluster beans, sweet potato, lima beans , salt and turmeric powder,. Let the vegetable cook nicely. Now add tamarind juice and asafoetida and brinjal. . Add 3 cups of water. Now add cooked ground nuts, black channa , black eyed beans and cooked colacasia. Now add all ground masla powders. Cook well. If water is less add more water. It should be little watery in consistency.
Let it boil well. Heat gingely or thil oil. Add fried turkey berry or chundakka . fry this well and take out. Now add mustard seeds. Let it crackle well Pour this over the gravy. Add curry leaves.
Switch off the stove
Add cooked rice and daal. and fried coconut. Mix well. Add curry leaves.
Heat gingely or thil oil. Add turkey berry or chundakka . fry this well and take out. Now add mustard seeds. Let it crackle well Pour this over the rice.
Turkey berry is purely optional. If you dont like this do not add .