Puli aval or tamarind poha is an easy instant traditional breakfast or dinner recipe made with flattened rice. With in 20 minutes we can make this . I used white thick poha or aval to make this . You can use brown poha also. Let us see how to make this.
Preparation time approx 20 minutes.
Soaking time 20 mins.
- 2 cups of thick poha or aval( white or brown)
- 1cup tamarind juice (small amla size tamarind soaked in water and take juice)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder.
- 4 tbsp pea nuts or ver kadalai.
- 1 tsp chilly powder ( adjust according to taste)
- 5 tbsp thil oil.( if you dont have thil oil any other sunflower oil is ok)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- 1tsp urad daal.
- 1tsp channa daal.
- 3 long red chillies.
- few curry leaves.
- salt to taste.
Wash the aval or poha nicely. Keep this in a bowl. To this add tamarind water, turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder. Mix well and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
In the meantime heat a pan and add oil. When it is hot add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Then add pea nuts and fry for few seconds. Now add urad and channa daal. When the daals turns brown add red chillies, curry leaves, and asafoetida. Mix well. Keep the stove on medium.
Add the soaked poha or aval and mix well. Switch off the stove.