Som tam salad is made with green pappya which is a very popular street food of Thailand. Green pappaya salad is a spicy salad made from shredded raw papaya. Its one of the popular street food made with fish sauce. I have avoided the fish sauce and made this salad in vegetarian style. I learnt this recipe from my maid when i was living in Bangkok. Let us see how to make this spicy salad.
Preparation time approx. 10 minutes.
- 1 very small pappya. shredded in long size.
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 long beans.
- 4 spicy green chillies ( adjust according to your taste) I used Indian chillies.
- 1/2 cup roasted ground nuts. ( I like more ground nuts. You can reduce the quantity a little.
- 4 or 5 cheery tomatoes or de seeded tomatoes
- 3 to 4 garlic pods
- very little tamarind. If tomatoes are sour do not add this.
- 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- little jaggery or brown sugar.
- salt to taste.
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Coarsely pound the green chilles, garlic using a pestle or mortar . Put this in a bowl.
Coarsely ground all other things using pestle or mortar and put in a bowl.
Add salt and soy sauce and mix well.
Remove the skin of ground nuts.
Crush the ground nuts and add to the salad. Mix well and serve.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.