Tomato chutney is one of the easy chutney without coconut for any kind of dosa, Idly, oothappam, paniyaram, parathas etc. My children love this even with bread. We can make this chutney with in few minutes. Let us see how to make this chutney.
- 250 gram tomatoes. ( less sour tomatoes)
- 250 gram chopped onions or 1 cup.
- 4 small pods of garlic
- 7 round red chillies. ( adjust according to your taste)
- 1 kashmiri chilly for good colour. ( optional)
- 2tsp tamarind paste. or soak gooseburry size tamarind in water and take juice.
- salt to taste.
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 3 tsp sesame oil.
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds.
- 1/4 tto 1/2 tsp urad daal.
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp channa daal.
- few chopped curry leaves.
Heat little oil. Add garlic ,onions and red chillies .Fry them till they turn pink in colour . Keep the stove on medium heat. Add tomatoes and tamarind water. fry this till the tomatoes become mushy. Add salt and asafoetida. Fry for few for seconds. Switch off the stove and keep the chutney aside. Let it become room temperature.
Grind the mixture using mixer grinder.
Heat little oil. Add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add both daals. Let it become brown add chopped curry leaves. .Pour over the chutney.