Thiruvathira is a festival celebrated in Kerala and Tamil nadu. It is celebrated on the Thiruvathira day which is falling on the birth star of Lord Shiv and was celebrated by Hindu married women for the prosperity and healthy life of their husband while youngsters take part in the festivities to marry a man of their choice.
Thirvathira puzzhuuku is a very traditional Kerala dish mainly made with root vegetables. I used yam, Chinese potato, Purple yam, Sweet potato, Colacasia,Plantainn and borad beans.Added some ground coconut chilly paste.
Let us see how to make this yummy traditional dish.
Preparation time approx 20 minutes.
- 150 gram yam or chena
- 150 gram colacassia or vettu chembu
- 150 gram sweet potato or madhura kizhangu
- 150 gram chinese potato or koorkai
- 150 gram purple yam or kachil
- 1 plantain
- 150 gram broad beans or avarakkai.
- 3/4 cup of grated fresh coconut.
- 8 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp jeera/ 2 tsp coconut oil. few curry leaves
Peel and cut koorkai, kachil, chena, madhura kizhangu, vettu chembu ( chembu in bigger size) and plantain. Cut the broad beans. Wash and boil with salt and turmeric powder.
Grind coconut, jeera and green chilles adding little water. Make it in to a paste and keep aside.
When the vegetables cooked well add the coconut paste to it and mix well. Add coconut oil and curry leaves.