One of the traditional gravy which goes well with rice, Idly and dosa. It’s bitter,sweet,spicy,tangy in taste. Some people are calling pavakka kathirikka curry. I learnt this curry from my aunt. Let us see how to make this very traditional curry.
Preparation time approx 20 to 30 minutes
- 5 to 6 round brinjal cut into small pieces.
- 2 green chillies cut into pieces
- A small lemon size tamarind soaked in water.
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- salt to taste.
- 1/2 spoon white thil ( sesame seeds)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut. ( you can take little less coconut also)
- 6 red chillies( as per your taste)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil.
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- curry leaves.Method
Heat a tsp oil and fry white thil and red chillies. Take out. Now fry the coconut.Coconut should turn into brown.
Grind the fried items in a mixer adding little water. Make a paste and keep aside.
Cut the bitter gourd in to small pieces.
Cut brinjal also in to pieces and put in water . Otherwise it will change the colour.
Cook the brinjal and bitter gourd in tamarind water,salt and tumeric powder. It should not be mushy.
Add the coconut paste to cooked bitter gourd and brinjal.
Add little jaggery.
Do not cook more after adding coconut.
In coconut oil add mustard and curry leaves pour over the curry.